Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The reason for this blog...


I recently traveled to Washington, D.C from my home in Memphis, TN in order to see Idina Menzel perform at the Wolf Trap. I had quite the trip. I came home, got to work and decided that I was going to blog about all the times I think to myself, "What would Idina do? What would Idina think?" etc. I am literally that crazy. Literally.

Here is my adventure to D.C. as posted on my fan page at IdinaMenzel.com (don't judge)-

Sooo... I travel all the way from Tennessee to Washington, D.C. to visit some friends but really to see Idina live in concert. I had never been to D.C. and had never seen Idina perform solo, so I just had to go. I bought two tickets and then a plane ticket and off I went for a weekend getaway. This whole thing was a birthday present to myself. I have been working hard and saving money and I thought I deserved a treat.

Basically, I had the best trip of my soon to be 23 years of life. I did all of the touristy things with two of my friends and then the night of the show came. I was to go solo because both of my friends in D.C. had boyfriends that were currently holding precedent over me. Andy was whisked away to Florida and Glyn just wanted to hang with her Navy boy. Understandable, but I was to ride the metro out to Virginia alone.

I leave an hour and fifteen minutes early thinking that it would be plenty of time to make it to the show. I was horribly mistaken. The red line was out to get me. It was only running on one track, so I was forced to go way out of my way to get to the orange line, waiting 15 minutes at every transfer station on the way.

I was a mess. I ran into someone I had met a few nights before and he told me I was screwed and that I should go to dinner with him and his friends instead. NO WAY! If I made it in time to hear one song it would be worth it.

I finally arrive to the West Falls Church stop and realize that the shuttle to the Wolf Trap stopped running when the concert started. Which was an hour previous to my arrival. I am running frantic (have I mentioned that I did not eat dinner?) my heart is racing and I feel like crying hysterically. I finally find a cab and the man takes his sweet time getting me to the venue.

I was certain he was taking me somewhere to murder me because my face just screamed "tourist who knows nothing about anything in the state of Virginia." I just wanted to yell at him... "Drive faster!!! You can murder me after the concert... Just let me see Idina sing one bloody song would ya?"

I pay for my twenty dollar cab after I yell at him to just drop me off at the street. I see a lady and I ask her to point me in the direction of the Filene Center. She tells me "Right up that hill..."

I look up the hill and start to sprint. I am pretty sure I have never ran that fast in my life. I get to the top and see people leaving. I just know that the show is over and I have missed everything. Fighting back tears, I yell to the fist person I see, "Is she done? Is it over?"

With a confused look the lady asks me what I am talking about. Through panting breaths of air I ask, "Did I miss Idina sing?" She tells me the best news I have heard in some time. "She hasn't even come on yet."

Thinking to myself... "There is a God!" I run into the venue and frantically find my seat. Being from the South I talk to everyone who will listen and I tell my stories to the people around me. I helped a woman by allowing her to see the concert seated next to her husband because my extra ticket was not in use. I am sure my annoying edge of seat behavior was price enough to pay for that.

The two young ladies on the other side of me thought I was quite the character. "A kid in a candy store" is what they called me. These upstanding citizens saved my butt and gave me a ride into the city actually.

The only thing I wish I could have done is taken a picture with Idina. I wanted to stand in line with the rest of the crazies, but getting back to the city in one piece was holding a greater importance. Perhaps I will go to Atlanta and I will be able to see her again??

The concert was incredible. I was so close that I could see the creases in her arm glisten from sweat (strange imagery, I know.) I have horrible luck on most occasions, but in D.C. luck was on my side. Best Birthday Present Ever! Next time I am determined to get a picture with her. Honestly... I was super sweaty and my high-waisted shorts and my crazy looking hat would not have been that great of a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment